Info Guide of Studying in Canada (2) – Living Expenses

The cost of living in Canada is slightly higher than average, but a high quality of life is guaranteed. Most provinces (such as  Montreal, and Ottawa) require CAD 800 – 1,500 per month. Vancouver and Calgary are some of the most expensive cities in Canada, with living costs up to CAD 2,000 per month.


Accommodation Costs

In Canada, you will have many housing options, and the price range is equally diverse.

The main housing options for Canadian students are:

Student dormitory: ~ CAD 250 – 625 / month

Host family arranged by the university: ~ CAD 400 – 800 / month

Rental and shared apartments: ~ CAD 300 – 700 / month, the rental price depends on the location and facilities. If you choose to rent a studio, you can pay an extra CAD 1,000 per month.


Other Expenses Related to Accommodation

When you rent an apartment or studio, you will incur additional costs:

Basic utilities (electricity, water, heating, garbage): ~ CAD 150 / month

Internet: ~ CAD 50 – 70 / month


Food Expenses

You don’t need to spend too much money on food bills. Shopping from local supermarkets and grocery stores only cost about CAD 300 per month. Some of the supermarkets you can find all over Canada are Canadian supermarkets, Walmart, and No Frills.

If you want to dine in a restaurant, you will need to pay approximately CAD 10 – 25. In a mid-range restaurant, a three-course meal for two costs CAD 50 – 65.


Transportation Fees

Canadian university students between the ages of 18 and 25 can enjoy a discount when purchasing a monthly pass.

The total price of the transportation card is CAD 90 per month, and the one-way ticket is CAD 3.

Taxis are also a common mode of transportation throughout Canada, with fares ranging from CAD 2 – 6 per kilometre.


Source: Study Portals Masters


Latest News

Details of Canada’s Lifeboat Program announced in June this year – Stream A: In-Canada graduates.

Applicants must have graduated from a post-secondary designated learning institution in Canada

  • in the 3 years before you apply
  • with one of the following:
    • a diploma (not graduate or post-graduate) for a program of at least 2 years
    • a degree (associate, bachelor’s, master or doctoral)
    • a graduate or post-graduate diploma or certificate for a program of at least 1 year and
  • with at least 50% of your program completed in Canada (either in person or online)

For more information, please contact our experienced immigration consultant now:

WhatsApp: 6888 4742 (

Phone: 2566 5066